Archives

Rudy Giuliani joins Trump legal team, hopes to end Russia probe in ‘a week or two’

Rudy Giuliani said Thursday that he will join President Trump’s legal team and hopes to bring an end to the special counsel’s investigation into Russian election meddling in “a week or two.”

“I’m going to join the legal team to try to bring this to a resolution,” Giuliani told The Post.

“The country deserves it. I’ve got great admiration for President Trump.

“I’ve had a long relationship with Bob Mueller. I have great respect for him. He’s done a good job.”

Giuliani, a former US Attorney, served as New York City’s mayor when Mueller was the FBI director.
“I don’t know yet what’s outstanding. But I don’t think it’s going to take more than a week or two to get a resolution. They’re almost there.

“I’m going to ask Mueller, ‘What do you need to wrap it up?’” he said.

CONTINUE READING >>>

Ex-Miss Kentucky gets probation for bringing pot into prison

LIMA, Ohio — A former Miss Kentucky who tried to smuggle a small amount of marijuana into an Ohio prison for her boyfriend won’t have to spend time behind bars.

The Lima News reports 28-year-old Kia Hampton, of Louisville, Kentucky, received probation Wednesday during a hearing in Allen County in western Ohio. Authorities say Hampton was found with a marijuana-filled balloon at the Allen-Oakwood Correctional Institution in May 2017.

While prosecutors pushed for a prison sentence, the judge said Hampton seemed remorseful. She could have received three years in prison.
Hampton was crowned Miss Kentucky in 2010 and became the first black woman to represent the state in the Miss USA pageant.

She told the judge Wednesday she wants a “fresh start” and attributed her behavior to “foolishness.”
___
Information from: The Lima News, http://www.limanews.com

David Copperfield Has Been Forced to Reveal His Famous ‘Lucky 13’ Magic Trick in Court

David Copperfield was forced to break the magicians code in court Tuesday, when a judge ordered him to explain one of his most famous tricks following a lawsuit from an injured participant.

British tourist Gavin Cox, 58, is suing the illusionist for negligence after he claimed he was injured after taking part in Copperfield’s “Lucky #13” trick in Las Vegas in 2013, the BBC reports.

Cox said he has suffered chronic pain and brain injury following a fall that dislocated his shoulder. He said in the suit he has spent more than $400,000 on medical bills, according to NBC.

Copperfield, who is the world’s highest paid magician, has performed his famous “Lucky #13” trick thousands of times without prior incident. The performance involves randomly selecting 13 audience members, making them disappear on stage, only for them to later reappear at the back of the room.

A Las Vegas district court rejected Copperfield’s defense, which argued that disclosing the secret behind the trick would be financially detrimental to him. He was ordered to explain how the trick was done.

CONTINUE READING >>>

Georgia mother crashes vehicle into pole to prove ‘God is real,’ police say

A Georgia woman was arrested last week after deliberately driving her SUV into a telephone pole — with her two children in the car — to prove God would protect them, police said.

Bakari Shaquille Warren, 25, told Norcross police she veered into oncoming traffic and hit a concrete pole on purpose, WSB-TV reported.
No one, including Warren’s 5- and 7-year-old children, were hurt in the accident.

One daughter was asked whether her mother crashed on purpose and explained to the officer what happened, according to the station.

“Yeah, because she turned. Her eyes was closed and she was saying, ‘blah, blah, blah, I love God,’” the daughter said. “She didn’t want us to just have a car accident. She wanted us to know that God is real.”

Police said Warren told her children to buckle up before hitting the gas pedal and driving directly into the police.

“It could have been a lot worse. It could have been heavier traffic at the time, she could have hit the pole at such an angle that she did more damage to the car,” Sgt. Eric Butynski said.

READ MORE >>>

Cosby lawyers: No T-shirts, flowers or slogans at retrial

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bill Cosby’s lawyers want T-shirts, buttons and other slogan-filled items banned from his upcoming sexual assault retrial after some accusers were seen with them in the audience at his first trial.

Cosby’s lawyers argued in court papers on Tuesday that slogans like “We Stand in Truth” could influence jurors. They also want to ban people from bringing in flowers, posters and other props.

Some women at Cosby’s first trial carried bouquets of pink gladioli to express solidarity with other women who say the comedian drugged and molested them.

Cosby has pleaded not guilty to charges he assaulted a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.

His first trial ended in a hung jury. Retrial jury selection is scheduled for April 2.

Prosecutors on Tuesday said jurors shouldn’t hear why a district attorney declined to file criminal charges in 2005 because his opinion is irrelevant to the case at hand.

SOURCE

Nun involved in lawsuit with Katy Perry over convent dies during court hearing

In the midst of a years-long legal battle attempting to prohibit Katy Perry from purchasing a former Catholic convent, one of the nuns involved in the case died while attending a court hearing related to the case.

CBS News reported that on Friday, Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 89, collapsed during a court hearing in Los Angeles.

“Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, IHM passed away suddenly today at the age of 89,” Archbishop José H. Gomez wrote in a statement on her passing obtained by PEOPLE.

“Sister Catherine Rose served the Church with dedication and love for many years and today we remember her life with gratitude. We extend our prayers today to the Immaculate Heart of Mary community and to all her friends and loved ones,” he continued.

Hours before her death, Holzman and Sister Rita Callanan spoke out against Perry to Fox 7, marking the first time the nuns had spoken to the press since 2016, when a Los Angeles judged ruled against the pair — who had attempted to sell the convent to businesswoman Dana Hollister — clearing the way for Perry to purchase the property.

According to ABC 7, the nuns tried to complete the sale without getting approval from the Archbishop, but were then sued by the archdiocese in 2015, igniting the lengthy litigation process.

At the time, the Associated Press reported that Perry reportedly offered $14.5 million for the house, and that the singer’s bid was approved by the Los Angeles’ archbishop, but was still waiting on approval from the Vatican.

“Katy Perry, please stop,” Holzman told Fox 7. “It’s not doing anyone any good [and it’s] hurting a lot of people.”
RELATED: Katy Perry’s Attempt to Buy a Hollywood Convent Reportedly Blocked By Nuns

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times in 2015, Callanan said that the nuns were against the sale because they didn’t approve of the singer’s image.

“Well, I found Katy Perry, and I found her videos and if it’s all right to say, I wasn’t happy with any of it,” she said.

SOURCE

Mom of girl with high levels of lead in blood thrilled after winning $57M verdict against NYCHA

Dakota Taylor, 12, (l.) and her mother, Tiesha Jones, inside their apartment in the Bronx. (GREGG VIGLIOTTI/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Public housing tenant Tiesha Jones was heartbroken after learning 4-year-old daughter Dakota — life-long resident of a lead-tainted NYCHA apartment — registered an alarmingly dangerous level of lead in her blood.

On Friday, she received a measure of retribution: A Bronx jury handed down a $57 million verdict against the Housing Authority for its failure to inspect her apartment for lead paint as required.

“I was overjoyed. I was crying nonstop,” said Jones, 38, ripping NYCHA officials as “liars” for insisting despite the evidence that her apartment was lead-free.

“The tenants don’t have any hope here. It’s like we’re an afterthought. They’re ruining our quality of life. They’re ruining our hopes and dreams.”

The huge verdict comes as the Housing Authority and Mayor de Blasio struggle to address revelations that the authority had for years neglected to perform thousands of required lead paint checks in its aging apartments.

Even worse, NYCHA then falsely claimed the work had been performed.

Jones moved into the apartment in the Fort Independence development in the Bronx in 1999. By 2010, she was living there with her six children.

Click to read more

Advanced stages of CTE found in Aaron Hernandez’s brain

BOSTON — Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had a severe case of the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, researchers said on Thursday. His lawyer announced a lawsuit against the NFL and the team, accusing them of hiding the true dangers of the sport.

Dr. Ann McKee, the director of the CTE Center at Boston University, said Hernandez had stage 3 (out of 4) of the disease, which can cause violent mood swings, depression and other cognitive disorders.

“We’re told it was the most severe case they had ever seen for someone of Aaron’s age,” attorney Jose Baez said.

Hernandez was 27 when he killed himself in April in the prison cell where he was serving a life-without-parole sentence for murder. Baez said Hernandez had shown signs of memory loss, impulsivity and aggression that could be attributed to CTE.

“When hindsight is 20-20, you look back and there are things you might have noticed,” he said. “But you don’t know.”

Read more